ATEG Archives

August 1998

From:
DLC Network <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 8 Aug 1998 15:38:51 +0900
Many of you have been asking what the requirements are for applying for a
scholarship towards Newport Asia Pacific University's online MS in TESOL
degree or TESOL certificate programs.
In order to qualify for a scholarship, students must meet the basic
requirements of the University:

1.  Graduate students must have completed the minimum of a baccalaureate
degree, or its equivalent.

2.  Non-native English speaking students require a TOEFL score of 500 and
every student is expected to have a level of language ability that will
permit understanding of the textbooks, course materials and assignments.
However, it has been recommended by non-native English speaking students
enrolled in the program that a TOEFL score of 570 or higher would be
advisable.

3.  Students applying for a scholarship must be highly motivated
individuals who must maintain a B or 3.0 average throughout their term of
study. Scholarship recipients must work at the pace of his/her cohort and
turn in assignments on schedule.  Scholarship recipients who fail to meet
these and a number of other standards set forth by the University must
forfeit their scholarships.

4.  Students must have access to the Internet with one of the following
Internet Browsers:
        - Netscape Navigator 3.0 or higher
        - Microsoft Internet Explorer 3.0 or higher

For information regarding the application procedures, please see
http://www.asiapacificu.edu/scholarship/apply.html

As a reminder, the first online class for the certificate program "Second
Language Teaching and Learning" with Professor David Nunan will begin on
Aug. 15th and the following term on Oct. 19th.   If you wish to apply for a
scholarship, please let me know right away so that I may assist you in the
enrollment procedures.  If you would like a scholarship application form to
be sent to you by e-mail, please send a request to [log in to unmask]

In addition, I apologize for the confusion that a mistake on the website
had created.  Until just recently, the application on the website stated
that the $100.00 application fee was not refundable.  I checked this out,
however, and this is not the case.  This application fee is refundable
minus bank wire and/or exchange rate fees if the scholarship is not awarded
and the application for admission is cancelled by the student.  I apologize
for any confusion this has created and thank those of you that brought this
to my attention.

Cordially,

D. Povinsky
Student Services
THE DISTANCE LEARNING CENTER
Tel:  +81 (0)48-463-3077                The Distance Learning Center
Fax:  +81 (0)48-464-4199                1-4-3-202 Maruyamadai
e-mail: [log in to unmask]      Wako-Shi, Saitama 351-0112
                                JAPAN
REPRESENTING INSTITUTIONS OF HIGHER LEARNING
Visit our web site at:
http://www.distance-learning.org