ATEG Archives

August 1996

From:
Larry Beason <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 16 Aug 1996 13:00:41 -0800
>Also, would most ATEG-ers agree with the proposition that nonrestricted
>participle phrases are more "writerly" than restrictive ones?  Would you
>agree that, correctly used and punctuated (like this one!),  they are more
>likely to indicate maturity in writing?

I think there's some truth to that statment.  A study by Lester Faigley (ED
143 028) back in 1977 showed that skilled writers had significantly more
words in free modifiers, which were for the most part composed of
nonrestrictive clauses.
It seems, then, that skilled writers give more attention to the additional
detail and development given in nonrestrictive clauses.

larry beason

Larry Beason,Director
English Composition Program
Dept. of English