ATEG Archives

February 2005

From:
Beth Young <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 23 Feb 2005 13:39:05 -0500
I was one of the reviewers, but I don't recall any trumpeting of the
uniqueness of form/function differentiation.  It was a decent book for
an undergrad grammar class, covering the usual grammatical territory.
The standout feature (for me) was the inclusion of longish literary
nonfiction excerpts to illustrate how writers use the different
structures to convey nuances of meaning.

Sorry it has been so long that I don't remember any specific examples.

Beth

Beth Rapp Young
http://pegasus.cc.ucf.edu/~byoung

University of Central Florida
From Promise to Prominence: Celebrating 40 Years.

Marshall,
Interesting.  I was especially curious about who might have reviewed
the
manuscript for Oxford UP???
Sara
At 04:10 PM 2/14/05, you wrote:
>Sara Garnes wrote:
>>Did any of you review the new text, The Uses of Grammar, by Rodby
and
>>Winterowd, published by Oxford UP?  The first "blurb" on the ad I
>>received announcing the text says, "A unique approach to grammar
based on
>>the differentiation of form and function."  Why would Oxford
consider
>>that to be a unique approach?  Just wondering.
>>Sara Garnes
>>Assoc. Prof, Emeritus
>>English, Ohio State
>>To join or leave this LISTSERV list, please visit the list's web
>>interface at:
>><http://listserv.muohio.edu/archives/ateg.html>http://listserv.muohio.edu/archives/ateg.html

>>and select "Join or leave the list"
>>
>>Visit ATEG's web site at <http://ateg.org/>http://ateg.org/
>Sara,
>
>It's been awhile since I submitted final copies of the reviews for
SYNTAX
>IN THE SCHOOLS, but I don't believe anyone has reviewed this book.
Ann
>Lobeck should be able to verify that.
>
>If nobody has, let me know.
>
>Best wishes,
>
>Marshall
>To join or leave this LISTSERV list, please visit the list's web
interface
>at: http://listserv.muohio.edu/archives/ateg.html and select "Join or
>leave the list"

interface at: