ATEG Archives

October 2007

From:
Craig Hancock <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Oct 2007 11:13:22 -0400
My apologies for some carelessness with the last post. I meant my
example to read like the following.

I   often    think           about blank.

I often   think about             blank.

It seems to me that once it becomes lexicalized, however the means, the
resultant structure can evolve new meanings, just like all words do,
which can then seem to have little resemblance to the original source.
So concepts like "catch on" or "carried away"or "stand for" are no
longer predictable from their initial elements. That would seem to
contradict Ron's view that these particles have to be adverbial. To the
dictionary makers, I think the choice on whether to list them probably
hinges on that sense of unpredictability. They have to define "make up"
as possibly meaning many different things that  can't be predicted by
"make" plus "up." "I made up the story." "I made up with my wife." "I
made up a shopping list." and so on.
   The concept of phrasal verbs is probably easiest to spot with these
structures that have unpredictable meanings. To "put down a friend" is
not the same as to "put down a tool."  The first seems like a separate
two part word in its own right.

Craig