ATEG Archives

August 2006

From:
Phil Bralich <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Aug 2006 14:02:37 -0400
And this is why we all have to drop the pretense that we are somehow going to create some sort of new grammar or new linguistics that will revolutionize grammar teaching and writing.  The standard is out there, it has been for many years and standard books already tell us what there is to be taught.  The fight about traditional and modern grammar needs to be dropped utterly as the Scope and Sequence committee can make straightforward decisions about what to teach and when from a well-known body of knowledge that comes from Standard English.  We look like fools or uneducated exuberant youth in anything else.  The Chicago Manual of Style, Strunk and White, the style manuals of all publishers and academic journals and so on are waiting for us to grow up.  They are also waiting for us to be sure that students in elementary, secondary, and post-secondary schools know what is in there.  They are not waiting for a break through, a tantrum, or even a discussion of traditional vs modern grammar   They are also laughing at NCTE and their moronic stance about grammar so we don't have to feel too bad.

Phil