ATEG Archives

April 2008

From:
"Castilleja, Janet" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 10 Apr 2008 11:21:54 -0700
I do think that 'To know him is to love him' consists of three clauses together, two nonfinite and the complete clause finite.  In my other example, it would make a difference to my analysis if it were 'running regularly is good for you ' rather than 'running is good for you.'  I would call the first a reduced clause.  I analyze it in a way that participle phrases still exist, but I guess I could call them all clauses if the possibility of other clause elements is there.

I actually only use the reduced clause explanation with my upper division students who are studying to be ESL or bilingual ed teachers. I do  this so I can show them how independent clauses can be combined and where the elements of those embedded clauses come from.  I also do it because it usually seems reasonably transparent to me. For number of years, we have taught a Quirk et al. based grammar in this class.  However, I may have to change that. The students  have to take a professional certification test that seems to expect them to know quite a bit of grammar, but much of it is discussed in a more traditional way, so now I find myself saying things like this: " But you might find this referred to as a participle phrase on the test or in the text books your district uses" and things like that.  It's probably more confusing to try to get them to learn  more than one name for structure.

In my composition course, I stick to more traditional names for structures and use them to discuss linguistic possibilities.  At my school, we use sentence combining in the developmental composition classes.  I think students are more comfortable if they have a name for a structure, but I think a lot of grammar terminology just overwhelms them.

Janet