ATEG Archives

February 2008

From:
"Spruiell, William C" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Feb 2008 16:25:10 -0500
Cynthia, DD, et al.:

When people say "Southern," they can mean any of several dialects that
are quite different from each other in a number of ways. Broadly
speaking, Coastal Southern (think "Scahlet O'hara") drops -r after
vowels, while South Midland (the dialect most modern Country singers
seem to try to emulate) keeps the -r. Many speakers in the southern
Midwest have South Midland-ish characteristics, but speakers from the
Applachians and the foothills (northern Alabama, etc.) speak the dialect
too -- "Southern Coastal" really does mean "coastal," and dialects
aren't limited to confining themselves neatly to state lines.

At least in my native area (northernish Alabama), there were some social
class connotations to the dialects, partly because people had moved
south from the foothills to get factory jobs during the depression and
WWII. What DD is calling "gentry" really did *sound* like gentry to us
-- that r-dropping was characteristic of people whose families had been
in the area for a very long time, as opposed to us second- and
third-generation "hillbillies." To me, the start of "ornery" has an 'r',
and sounds roughly like the last part of 'corn.'

Bill Spruiell