ATEG Archives

March 2008

Date:
Sun, 16 Mar 2008 00:25:53 -0400
Someone correct me, but is "God save the king" a third person imperative
if translated in Latin--or is it subjunctive?  My Latin books are missing
and my memory fading fast.
Scott Catledge

Date:    Sat, 15 Mar 2008 11:31:48 -0400
From:    "Veit, Richard" <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: Re: Subjunctive

As I said, I never gave it any thought until Karl's message gave me an =
"aha" moment.

So when people say "Lord(,) help us," are they using the imperative or =
subjunctive?

Dick Veit

Date:    Sat, 15 Mar 2008 14:06:07 -0400
From:    "STAHLKE, HERBERT F" <[log in to unmask]>

Karl,

Yours is certainly a legitimate approach to the subjunctive, although I
prefer to keep categories of this sort morphosyntactic rather than
purely syntactic.  As syntactic constructions they don't so clearly
represent contrasts the language insists on as they show the
compositional, syntactic potential of the language in expressing
meaning.  Since we already of good semantic terms for sentences like
your examples, for example, desiderative for the first and jussive for
the second (both are irrealis, but that's something else again), I don't
see the advantage of adding subjunctive to the set.  De gustibus...

Herb

At the risk of perpetuating the pointless dispute, I should note that I=20
agree with you about the counterfactual "were" not deserving the name of

a subjunctive.

However, I do think it is justified in the so-called present=20
subjunctive, although I would drop the "present" and refocus the term a=20
bit. It's not an inflectionally distinct form, as you correctly note,=20
but it is a syntactically distinct one.

Clauses like

(I demand) that the prisoner be released.

or

God bless the Queen.

have a different syntactic pattern from those of other clauses that use=20
the base form of the verb (imperatives or infinitives), that clause form

deserves a distinct label, and "subjunctive" is as good a term for it as

any.

So for me, the term "subjunctive" is useful for English as long as we=20
keep in mind that it does not mean exactly the same thing for English as

it does for Latin.

Karl

STAHLKE, HERBERT F wrote:
> [...]
> subjunctive paradigm uses the 1s indicative form for all persons in
the
> singular and adds the preterite plural suffix -n for all persons in
the
> plural.  See the paradigms for "ridan" (to ride).  I've left out vowel
> length marking for both Latin and Old English.
>=20
>      Indicative   Subjunctive
> 1s   ride         ride
> 2s   ridest       ride
> 3s   rideth       ride
> 1p   ridath       riden
> 2p   ridath       riden
> 3p   ridath       riden
>=20
> Modern English has no subjunctive and didn't have much subjunctive to
> lose in the first place.  It can, however, use syntactic constructions
> to say anything that languages that have a subjunctive can say.

interface at:

To join or leave this LISTSERV list, please visit the list's web interface
at:

End of ATEG Digest - 14 Mar 2008 to 15 Mar 2008 (#2008-66)