ATEG Archives

April 2009

From:
"Myers, Marshall" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Apr 2009 20:50:24 -0400
Brian,

I'm very interested in the responses you get to this question.

As a comp-rhet person that focuses on linguistics, I still suggest that my students use the singular personal pronouns if the audience is expecting such. Say a paper in front of English literature people.

But for informal papers, things like personal essays, I don't mark it at all.

NCTE published a little flyer several years ago that advises that writers may use "their" when it is obvious that "the referent for the pronoun is clearly understood to be plural." The flyer then cites this sentence: "When everyone contributes their own ideas, the discussion will be a success."

When I was in high school, if the referent was unknown, it was assumed to be masculine. As in: Everybody knows his address.

The problem of using "his" in the above sentence is obviously that many interpret its use as sexist.

In composition studies scholarship, often if the gender is unclear, the feminine form is used. As in: Every scholar knows her way around the library. I haven't figured out the rationale for that usage, though.

I found a text from the late 1500's, published in England,that used the plural pronoun with everybody. So the problem has been around for a long time.

Marshall