ATEG Archives

July 2001

From:
Don Stewart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Jul 2001 23:24:29 -0400
Sophie,

Some interesting things are happening here. You say that there is no
participle here, that it is a noun phrase, a gerund. But to achieve that,
you had to change "him" to "his," the old possessive in front of the gerund
trick. I don't thinks so. This is "I saw him sitting in the park," not "I
heard his whistling in the dark."

Let's try a different tack. Let's try to get a real participial phrase that
makes it all the way back to the subject, using my sentence. How about "I
could hear him down in his workshop, wishing he would call it a night."
Does that work? Can anyone think of one that really does? And an explanation
of why?

P.S. Look at how all my commas and periods are inside the closing quotes. I
do believe that is the rule in both MLA and APA. Begging to differ with
Jeff, I don't think this is a minor point, and being consistently wrong is
not too good an idea either.

Don Stewart

--
Keeper of the memory and method of Francis Christensen.
WriteforCollege.com