ATEG Archives

March 2008

From:
"STAHLKE, HERBERT F" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 16 Mar 2008 08:19:12 -0400
I hate to be serious after that serious bout of wit, but when I've heard
British speakers use the construction, whether as a public proclamation
or as direct address (only in Tudor-period movies), "God," in "God save
the King" or "God save your Grace," the tonic accent has been on "King"
in the former and on "save" in the latter, not on "God" as I would
expect if "God" were vocative.

Herb