ATEG Archives

January 2008

From:
Robert Yates <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 18 Jan 2008 22:05:27 -0600
It would be very nice if our colleagues in composition had what he proposes.

>>> "STAHLKE, HERBERT F" <[log in to unmask]> 01/18/08 8:38 PM >>>
Steve,

If the day has in fact come when the typical job candidate in
composition has a sufficiently sophisticated command of the subject to
address in an informed manner the questions you pose, we have been much
more successful than I could have hoped in changing the training of
composition faculty.

*********
My reading of the composition literature is that there is very little interest in any type kind of developmental perspective.

When they make reference to development, they cite the only thing they know about L2 studies: Krashen claims that under the right conditions, learners acquire grammar without explicit instruction.

Bob Yates
University of Central Missouri