ATEG Archives

February 2001

From:
David D Mulroy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 18 Feb 2001 18:25:19 -0600
I think that you are mistaken about Shakespeare.  He and the other
authors of the English Renaissance benefited from a return
to basic grammar that had been decreed by Henry VIII. In the fifteenth
century, grammatical instruction in the schools had suffered because
scholars were preoccupied with theoretical or speculative grammars that
raised some of the same philosophical issues as contemporary linguists
address.

Shakespeare's  basic textbook was Lily's grammar.  It is true that this is
aimed at Latin but it is based on grammatical concepts that are easily
transferred to English and have to be if they are to be understood. As a
Latinist, I can assure you that English speakers do not and cannot learn
about sentence subjects, prepositional phrases, participles, the passive
voice, or appositives in Latin without understanding what they they refer
to in English.  Shakespeare seems to me to be the clearest imaginable
example of author who benefits from a deep, conscious understanding of
grammar.  I suppose you could say that you he and the other
masters of the 17th century show that you don't need to STUDY ENGLISH
grammar, but that's only if you start Latin in the first grade, approach
it with a grammatical syllabus, and make it the main subject studied.