ATEG Archives

June 2008

From:
"Katz, Seth" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Jun 2008 21:01:58 -0500
The OED supports the bit that Carol cites from Robinson: the earliest uses of the noun sentence date to the 13th century, and include both

"3. An authoritative decision; a judgement pronounced by a tribunal.     {dag}<http://ezproxy.bradley.edu:2125/graphics/parser/gifs/mb/dag.gif> a. spec. = sentence of excommunication."

and

" {dag}<http://ezproxy.bradley.edu:2125/graphics/parser/gifs/mb/dag.gif> 7.    a. The thought or meaning expressed, as distinguished from the wording; the sense, substance, or gist (of a passage, a book, etc.). Obs."

Etymologically, it comes from "L. sententia opinion, maxim, etc., irreg. (for *sentientia) f. sent {imac}<http://ezproxy.bradley.edu:2125/graphics/parser/gifs/mbi/imac.gif> re to feel, be of opinion."

Seth

Dr. Seth Katz
Assistant Professor
Department of English
Bradley University

________________________________

	From: Spruiell, William C <[log in to unmask]>
	To: [log in to unmask]
	Date: Wednesday, June 18, 2008, 4:42 PM

	Anyone who thinks that abbreviations and "squiggle" notations like
	":-)" are a problem in current writing should be forced to try to
	read medieval manuscripts. Start with really expensive writing materials
	(vellum anyone?), make the writing process laborious (sharpen quill, grind
	stuff for ink, blot the vellum...) and throw in a bunch of insular monks (well,
	insular even for monks), and you get pages of squigglefest. At least the
	computer environment prevents some of the excesses of calligraphy that would
	otherwise occur.

	I suspect that the comments about sentences in that piece were actually
	comments about punctuation. If so, I'm not really sure how to maintain the
	claim that clearly demarcated sentences are necessary for clear thought, given
	that -- in all probability -- Plato, Aristotle, etc. didn't mark sentence
	boundaries in writing at all. Languages always have clause complexes; writing
	systems may or may not orthographically mark these in various ways.

	All that having been said (I don't usually adopt absolute positions, but
	I'll certainly use absolutes), I *do* tend to notice a link between
	orthographically-unstructured writing, etc. and bad argumentation in my
	students -- but I don't think the first causes the second. Instead,
	it's simply that students who don't read much good argumentation tend
	not to argue well, and if they're reading mainly text messages from other
	students, they're not reading much good argumentation. Other studies
	(including something from NCTE that I may be able to dig out later) have shown
	that students *are* reading a good bit -- but I suspect what they're
	reading is the kind of texts that are produced by others in their age group,
	and that emphasize easy social interaction over critical thinking. "U R
	teh uber-newb, d00d!" is fascinating in its own right, but if that's
	the kind of thing you're used to, you'll find academic or business
	writing quite alien.

	Bill Spruiell
	Dept. of English
	Central Michigan University