ATEG Archives

July 2007

From:
Natalie Gerber <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 9 Jul 2007 18:06:26 -0400
Dear all:

I wonder if you could advise me as to which, if any, grammar texts or handbooks are widely in use in secondary English classrooms (and which of these you might recommend as good choices) and to what extent high-school English teachers have latitude in choosing a grammar text.

My question stems from my work on a college-level grammar course designed for English Adolescent Education students.  While I plan on using a more advanced text, the Longman Student Grammar, as the primary coursebook, I imagine students would also find it helpful to use a secondary-level grammar text they might be expected to teach from in the future. Perhaps the contrast between texts would also be instructive on issues involving standard English and prescriptive grammar.

Thanks so much for your thoughts.

Natalie Gerber
Asst. Professor of English
SUNY Fredonia