ATEG Archives

June 2010

From:
"STAHLKE, HERBERT F.W." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 9 Jun 2010 18:29:29 -0400
Craig,

I've read through some of it, and as a linguist I like much of what they've done.  To teach effectively to these standards, teachers will have to know, understand, and teach a fair bit of English grammar.  Therein lies the problem.  We don't have a core of language arts teachers with the training or disposition to do this.  Their training is still fundamentally anti-grammar, and they get very little language content in the teacher ed. curriculum and even less language teaching methodology, for L1 or L2 speakers.  Standards can't get set out in such a context and hope to be adopted.  School boards, teachers colleges, language arts faculties, etc. will continue to do as they've been doing, paying lip-service to the standards and in most cases not even being aware that they're flouting them.

I hate to sound so negative, but without the governors also investing in training, curriculum revision, and monitoring, I don't see how much will change.

Herb