ATEG Archives

June 2008

From:
"Spruiell, William C" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 26 Jun 2008 17:10:14 -0400
Scott:

We're not questioning that Medieval writers had thoughts as complete as
ours (or at least, I know I'm not questioning that, and I doubt anyone
else would). It's just that the relation between "complete thought" and
"sentence" isn't as straightforward as it's sometimes presented. Compare
the following:

	1. Most of us wanted pizza, although Bjarki wanted surstromming.
	2. Most of us wanted pizza. *Although Bjarki wanted
surstromming.
	3. Most of us wanted pizza. However, Bjarki wanted surstromming.

I'd have enormous trouble trying to support the claim that "although"
gives you one complete thought in #1, but "however" leads to two
complete thoughts in #3, and that anyone who wrote #2 (both parts, not
just the second) was having incomplete thoughts. That *issue* would not,
I think, have come up in the medieval period -- you wrote it, and it
made sense, so it was complete.

Bill Spruiell
Dept. of English
Central Michigan University