ATEG Archives

February 2001

From:
"Wollin, Edith" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Feb 2001 10:43:13 -0800
Nancy, I think there is a lot of truth in what you say about students'
getting awkward with the language when they start doing harder stuff with
it. Yes, it is rhetorical, but many of us on the list don't separate
grammar/syntax and rhetoric, and in fact see them as related and teach them
that way. Hence, Martha's Rhetorical Grammar.
For those of you looking for another book that does this, Michael Kischner
and I have a book coming out--in the fall, I think. Right now the title is
Grammar with Style, A Writer's Choices. However, this morning's email has a
message from our editor at Harcourt asking to change the title to
Writers'Choices--which seems awfully close to Max's et als. book if you ask
me! The book uses a knowledge of syntax, sentence combining, and rhetoric.
In many ways it is like A Writer's Options, but uses syntax alone as the
organizer (noun clauses and gerunds and infinitives used as nouns are in
separate chapters in our book, not together as they are in A Writer's
Options. We have tried to make the book compact enough to be a supplemental
text in a composition class; it could probably be used in 12th grade
too--maybe even 11.

Edith Wollin