ATEG Archives

September 2006

From:
Johanna Rubba <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Sep 2006 00:13:56 -0700
My favorite nesting example is one that I think can't be said in any
way that would make it comprehensible beyond the first or second
embedding.

Imagine a sign on a wall. It says "post no signs".

Some joker comes along and glues another sign over it:

"post no 'post no signs' signs"

And, of course, yet another joker comes along and ... you guessed it --

"post no 'post no "post no signs" signs' signs"

and so on ...

"post no 'post no "post no 'post no signs' signs" signs' signs"

As soon as there are three "signs" at the end, I'm gone.

Dr. Johanna Rubba, Associate Professor, Linguistics
Linguistics Minor Advisor
English Department
California Polytechnic State University, San Luis Obispo
E-mail: [log in to unmask]
Tel.: 805.756.2184
Dept. Ofc. Tel.: 805.756.2596
Dept. Fax: 805.756.6374