ATEG Archives

April 2008

From:
Karl Hagen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 6 Apr 2008 14:13:14 -0700
Those who pretend that they know better than everyone who has ever published
on the subject and yet offer nothing more than misplaced sarcasm to buttress
their position have even more work cut out for themselves.

A remark from Richard Dawkins (made in a somewhat different context) leaps to
mind: "It is, of course, entirely legitimate to question conventional wisdom
in fields that you have bothered to mug up first. That is what Einstein did,
and Galileo, and Darwin. But our hundred million are another matter. They are
contradicting ... vast fields of learning in which their own knowledge and
reading is indistinguishable from zero."