ATEG Archives

March 2006

From:
Geoffrey Layton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Mar 2006 07:30:19 -0600
A "UNIQUE" STORY (TRUE!)

To my father, using a comparison with "unique" was a sin of the worst order,
and I was thoroughly cured of this odius practice, probably by the age of
four or five.  Imagine my horror, then, as a college freshman (circa 1963)
to read the following words in my history text:  "most unique."  And this by
a presumably esteemed author!  I immediately wrote him a letter (care of his
publisher) to upbraid him, nay castigate him for this error of unimaginable
magnitude.  To my surprise, he wrote back thusly:  "Dear Mr. Layton:  You
are quite right although unduly concerned."

I have been much less concerned ever since.

Geoff Layton