ATEG Archives

August 1999

From:
"c. Hartnett" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 27 Aug 1999 21:51:25 -0400
Dear ATEGgers,

To me, the grammatical difference between which and as is that basically
which refers to a noun, while as refers to a verb.  Of course they expand
their reference.  When the reference to a verb is synonymous to reference
to the verb and its object, either works.

But:
He has a terrier, as his neighbor has.
        They both have terriers.
He has a terrier, which his neighbor has.
        The neighbor is keeping the dog while the owner is on vacation.

Then when you get to adjectives:
He is busy, as was expected.
        As refers to is busy.
He is busy, which was expected.
        Busy is assumed to mean a busy person, I guess,
        or it could refer to the whole clause, that he is busy..

Anybody have a better answer to an interesting question?

Carolyn Hartnett