ATEG Archives

February 2001

From:
Martha Kolln <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Feb 2001 17:24:04 -0500
Tom:

The standard punctuation rule for compound predicates applies to all of
your examples:  i.e., no comma between the two structures, no matter how
long they are.  The comma signals the reader that another complete sentence
is on the way.  Sometimes, however, that comma turns that second predicate
into a kind of afterthought and gives it special emphasis. I think that you
can make that case in your sentences.  I certainly wouldn't mark them
wrong.  But bear in mind that your reader will pay special attention to the
TALK phrase, expecially when its length contrast so with the first verb
phrase.  In fact, if you had stuck to TALKED FOR HOURS in your last
example, instead of the long description you used, I would say that the
comma is called for.  That short phrase says "Pay attention."

Here's an example that I think most readers would agree needs the comma:

        I didn't believe him, and said so.

Here's an example illustrating the comma with a compound complement:

        My new white couch is beautiful, and expensive.

In both cases that comma could be replaced with a dash for even more emphasis.

In general, I think that the comma should be used only when that special
emphasis is warranted--whether the writer intended it or not.

I think that your CLOUDS sentence is a good example of that added emphasis.
However, the one following about the grade appeal looks like a comma error
to me: The two verbs, WRITE OUT and SUBMIT, are clearly equal ideas in
terms of both meaning and emphasis.

Another exception to the standard no-comma rule occurs with the
coordinating conjunction BUT.  Quite often the disjunction of BUT is
enhanced with a comma between compound structures within the sentence:

        I have visited a lot of big cities, but never Los Angeles.
        I have visited a lot of big cities, but have never visited Los Angeles.

I should mention too that biblical examples, as well as many 19th examples,
will not accurately illustrate today's conventions: Comma use has changed
toward a more open style.

As with so many rules of punctuation, it's important to keep in mind what
the effect on the reader will be.

Martha Kolln