ATEG Archives

September 2006

From:
"Stahlke, Herbert F.W." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Sep 2006 13:08:06 -0400
Patty,

I agree with your statement of what we don't agree on but not of what we
do agree on.  That is, the phrase "innateness of language" would mean
different things to various of us.  But we do agree that the knowledge
that permits us to perform language is not knowledge most of us can
articulate.  The knowledge about language, that allows us to identify
parts of sentences, parts of speech, etc., is explicit knowledge and is
what should be taught.  Then we get into disagreement as to what parts
of this knowledge should be taught, what they should be called, and how
and when they should be taught.

Herb