ATEG Archives

September 2008

From:
"Katz, Seth" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Sep 2008 14:18:14 -0500
Dear Friends--

Consider the following sentences:

		Not by might, nor by power, but by spirit alone shall all men live in peace.

		We must aspire to heed the desires of our better angels, for we have been born not to hate and hurt, but to love and serve.

Though they are not included on the orthodox lists of correlative conjunctions, would it be reasonable to read "not . . . nor . . . but" in the first sentence, and "not . . . but" in the second sentence as correlative conjunctions? They seem to me to have strong 'correlating' force--or am I just getting that from the parallelism?

I would appreciate your thoughts--

Seth

Dr. Seth Katz
Assistant Professor