ATEG Archives

December 1999

From:
Pam Dykstra <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 3 Dec 1999 18:35:48 -0600
Ed,
    You are absolutely right!   I posed the question only as a direction; I was trying to find a container for a topic that often seems so huge.  I felt that beginning with what we wanted students to be able to do would help direct the conversation about what to teach.  The question "What do students need to know to write effectively" is terribly loose, and as you and others have pointed out begs the question: What is effective writing?  And that poses another question: effective at what grade level?
     Johanna  referred earlier to the basic issue of  what should be taught first, noting that she feels there is a core of concepts that students can learn as a foundation for further grammar instruction, a foundation that begins with simple structures that are then built upon.  She and the 3S committee will be discussing that in the near future.  Once we have concepts that are to be taught in the early grades and consistently reinforced in subsequent grades, my second question comes into play: How do we teach that?  My hope in posing the second question was/is that we present a
variety of methods.        Pam