ATEG Archives

August 1999

From:
Maureen Fitzpatrick <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 20 Aug 1999 09:47:18 -0500
I'm not sure the question of "better than" is really legitimate--I think it
is more a question of who is and is not included.  In a similar debate,
people argue that teaching students to read via whole language has not
produced readers who are "better than" the readers raised on phonics, and
that's true, I'm sure.  However, statistics argue that, no matter how good
phonetic instruction is for some, about 25% of students will never "get"
phonics and thus will never attain reading skills, because their minds don't
work that way.  Even if the other 75% may just be going great guns, it
doesn't make that method effective for all.  My experience is that focusing
on traditional grammar and assuming you are teaching everyone to write works
the same way--it's great for some but means nothing to others.  The question
is, do you sacrifice the "25%" to "improve" the 75% when the 75% might be
fine either way? (disclaimer: I know that the statistics from phonetics
aren't the statistics that would apply directly to traditional grammar--it's
more the spirit of the trade off I'm trying to get at).

And, of course, I have no doubt that back in the days when only 20-35% of
the population went to college instead of the 50-60% we have today, the
college student writing skills might have been better.  But that's
statistics, too--not every perceived discrepancy in skill relates back to
the one "easy" answer of process vs. grammar.  It has to do with sociology,
multiple intelligences, and (most importantly, in my opinion) the distorting
effect of nostalgia.

Finally, of course, it is flawed to think that teaching must be either
grammar-focused OR process-focused--the whole reason I'm on this list is to
learn from people who successfully and creatively integrate both.

Maureen Fitzpatrick
Associate Professor, Johnson County Community College