ATEG Archives

September 2010

From:
"STAHLKE, HERBERT F" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 4 Sep 2010 19:45:49 -0400
Without adopting a particular theory, I suspect the choice of analysis depends in part on the presence or absence of "to."  Many English verbs take infinitives without" to," verbs like "let," "make," and perception verbs like "see," "hear," "watch," etc.  And, of course, the nine modal auxiliaries notably take infinitives without "to."  There are a few verbs that behave both ways, like "need" and "ought."  We can say "You need not do that" and "You ought not leave yet" but also "You need to do that" and "You ought to leave now," which is why "need" and "ought" are often called "semi-modals."  So whether a verb is modal or not doesn't depend simply on whether it occurs without "to" or not.  It is very much a semantic function.

Herb