ATEG Archives

August 2011

From:
Scott Catledge <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 19 Aug 2011 21:30:02 -0400
I have used the anonymous theme--carefully corrected but not graded but left
for the students to pick up the second day.
Doing so will cost you some students after the second day if they are truly
illiterate.
I have also started the "What I need to learn in this class is..." with the
students' passing the paper on for completion.
But I start one from the front and one from the back.  When they meet, you
can collect them and read them aloud but not in order;
then you can discuss their expectations and your expectations.

Norman Scott Catledge, PhD/STD
Professor Emeritus
history & languages

Date:    Thu, 18 Aug 2011 13:59:15 -0700
From:    Carol Morrison <[log in to unmask]>
Subject: First Day Icebreakers for College English

--0-1710259492-1313701155=:24394

The days are flying by as I rapidly approach the first day of class on 8/31=
, and I am trying to think of a good first day plan for introducing myself =
and my courses to the students. My final schedule will now be (2) sections =
of COMP 101 and (1) section of Basic Writing. Aside from handing out the sy=
llabus, and introducing myself to the class, do any of you have some good i=
deas for day #1? We used to do a diagnostic essay, but the college has done=
 away with that, which I am relieved about for many reasons: mock =E2=80=9C=
grading=E2=80=9D or commenting on student writing before class has even com=
menced and also the idea that this essay will somehow diagnose what illness=
es the students=E2=80=99 writing suffers from or what might plague it. Anot=
her term that has been used is =E2=80=9Cwriting sample,=E2=80=9D which I al=
so find off-putting, maybe because it conjures up the image of a urine samp=
le which will be tested to see if it comes out =E2=80=9Cclean.=E2=80=9D Any=
way, I think the first day is
 important for many reasons: it is the first impression the students will h=
ave of me as their instructor and also can be a deal breaker for some stude=
nts who will drop after the first day if they don=E2=80=99t like what they =
experience. Any ideas? I am also presuming at least half of the students wi=
ll not have purchased texts, so I don't want to dive right into that the fi=
rst day.
Thanks so much.
Carol Morrison