ATEG Archives

February 2009

From:
"STAHLKE, HERBERT F" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 2 Feb 2009 16:05:35 -0500
While I recall learning the Latin ablative absolute as a high school sophomore and then becoming aware of the nominative absolute in English, Koine Greek has a genitive absolute, like Attic, that behaves much like the Latin ablative absolute.  Greek collapsed the uses of the Indo-European ablative case into the genitive and dative, losing the ablative altogether.   So I'm surprised that a high school student of Koine, rare as they are, wouldn't have the same experience as a student of Latin.

Herb

Herbert F. W. Stahlke, Ph.D.
Emeritus Professor of English
Ball State University