ATEG Archives

September 2010

From:
Craig Hancock <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Sep 2010 19:26:06 -0400
Bill et. al.,
    The next question might be whether in sentences like "One X like the
others is Y" (Or "A dog like Charlie's is hard to find") traditional
grammar would treat "like the others" as prepositional phrase. If so,
then I'd very much agree that it should be pp in the predicate slot as
well. I have no problem with adverbial complements for "be" or with pp
in that role.
    If, on the other hand, it's adjective in both, would "like the others"
be adjective complement? "One of these things is not like" certainly
seems to be missing something.

Craig>

Craig et al.