ATEG Archives

January 2007

From:
Johanna Rubba <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 23 Jan 2007 14:12:28 -0800
I made up a sentence demonstrating the different uses of "affect" and
"effect" for fun:

"An effective treatment for phobias is to use desensitization therapy
to effect the desired affective response, having a beneficial effect
on the patient's affect. "

We could go further with the verb use of "affect":

"Phobias so serious that they adversely affect the patient's social
life can be treated effectively with desensitization therapy, which
effects the desired affective response, having a beneficial effect on
the patient's affect."

Not exactly a stylistic prize-winner, but fun nevertheless.

Dr. Johanna Rubba, Ph. D.
Associate Professor, Linguistics
Linguistics Minor Advisor
English Dept.
Cal Poly State University San Luis Obispo
San Luis Obispo, CA 93407
Ofc. tel. : 805-756-2184
Dept. tel.: 805-756-2596
Dept. fax: 805-756-6374