ATEG Archives

October 2007

From:
"Bruce D. Despain" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 12 Oct 2007 19:53:34 -0600
Ron,

I will have to concede your (and Craig's) point.  I remember personally the
task it was to teach 7th graders out of Paul Roberts' books.  But, as I
recall, there were few English teachers around who understood GT grammars
then (I did feel quite out of place) and the subject was taught as a
substitute for traditional English grammar and literature.  I felt they were
completely out of place in the sections on literature, which were
attrocious.  Be that as it may, I fear that there are some today who will
rush in and write curricula that use functional grammar or some other
approach as a substitute for the traditional types of analysis and parsing.
New theories may be great approaches to language understanding, but in the
classroom they seem to me only as practical as the extent to which they are
capable of providing insights from current thinking in the science of
linguistics.  I respect Halladay for his knowledge of languages, but what I
think his theory is lacking is a sound mathematical base for language
description.  Admittedly, linguistics has a ways to go, but without an
introduction to some of these basic mathematical concepts in the realm of
language at an earlier stage of learning, the field will continue to suffer.
At least when I learned diagramming, I was turned on to analysis.  When in
college I pursued both math and language (with graduate work in
linguistics), so I must admit there is a personal bias and desire not to
neglect either of these fields.

Bruce