ATEG Archives

August 2006

From:
Phil Bralich <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Aug 2006 11:01:27 -0700
I have always felt that much of the problem that exists around grammar teaching is that many of the teachers who are called or impressed with the duty to teach grammar simply don't know it themselves. I have also felt we could do everyone a big favor by requiring potential grammar teachers to take a grammar test; thereby, assuring at the very least that the person being hired wasn't coming in ready to fight the War Against Grammar as his only means of saving face in the classroom.

However, I am unsure what form this would take.  I personally like the grammar section of the old version of the TOELF.  This would be very telling in many ways.  Do other readers out there have favorite, standardized grammar tests that could be given to potential grammar teachers?   Perhaps ETS should be tasked with the job of putting one together specifically for the testing of future grammar teachers.  Those without the scores could focus their attention on other areas such as essay and research writing without fear of being pressed into service for a grammar class while those with the scores will be picked for the classes they obviously are trained for.

Ideally, such a test would teach not only awareness of grammar forms but also grammar terminology.

Phil Bralich