ATEG Archives

July 2006

From:
"Dr. Rebecca Wheeler" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Jul 2006 07:41:59 -0400
Dear Jed,
Big smiles! Thank you for your kind words. I'm really glad to hear that
my works are useful with your  students. Am always eager to hear
feedback. So please feel free to share my email address.

Now that I think of it, one of my recent articles deals very much with
some of the tensions of dealing with stigmatized language varieties in
the U. S. South. It's a piece that appeared in a New Zealand online
journal _English Teaching: Practice and Critique_.  After sharing
vignettes from my collaborator's third grade classroom where she
implements contrastive analysis and code-switching with her 2nd and 3rd
graders, I share principles that have allowed me to successfully defuse
social and political concerns of principals, central school office
administrators, teachers, students, parents, politicans, reporters, etc
as I go about doing this work using linguistic approaches to teaching
Standard English in diverse classrooms.

And my book, __Code-switching: Teaching Standard English in Urban
Classrooms_ has an extended section in chapter 1 dealing with "the
vexing problem of terminology" that speaks specifically to talking with
educators about language varieties in the U. S. south.

Hmm... I may be repeating earlier list info, but _English Teaching:
Practice and Critique_ has just put out a VERY interesting two-volume
series, featuring, for example, Martha Kolln, Craig Hancock, and Connie
Weaver exploring issues of what counts as knowledge about grammar, whose
grammar, etc..  And the editor, Terry Locke, provides a beautifully
insightful overview, introduction. Check it out! Here are the URLs

(part one -- December 2005)
http://education.waikato.ac.nz/research/journal/view.php?id=10&p=1
(part two -- May 06)
http://education.waikato.ac.nz/research/journal/view.php?current=true&p=1

yeah, I'm SURE martha and Craig must have talked extensively about these
issues. so please pardon the repetition.

cheers all!

Rebecca Wheeler

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Rebecca S. Wheeler, Ph.D.
Associate Professor of English Education
Department of English
Christopher Newport University
Newport News, VA 23606

(o): 757-594-8889