ATEG Archives

September 1997

From:
Martha Kolln <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Sep 1997 19:47:45 -0400
At  4:55 PM 9/26/97 -0400, Sara Garnes wrote:
>Sender:       Assembly for the Teaching of English Grammar
>Poster:       Sara Garnes <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject:      grammar and composition
>
>ATEG subscribers:
>
>I'm working on a proposal for a course for graduate students who have
>little or no formal training in grammar who have had introductory course
>work in composition theory and practice, who have taught composition, and
>who want to investigate relationships between grammar and composition in
>teaching native and non-native speakers of English, i.e. L1 and L2.
>
>I would appreciate very much knowing what all of you would recommend as the
>one or two books or articles that must be on the reading list.
>
>Please answer on the list or to me [[log in to unmask]].
>
>Thanks!
>Sara Garnes
>Associate Professor of English
>Ohio State University
>e-mail: [log in to unmask]

Sara:  Be sure to check out Brock Haussamen's Revising the Rules:
Traditional Grammar and Modern Linguistics, 2nd ed. (Dubuque, IA:
Kendall-Hunt, 1997).

Brock has done a real service in his research on "rules."  Every teacher
should read it.

Martha Kolln

P.S.  I hope you'll share your list when you get it compiled!