ATEG Archives

March 2006

From:
Craig Hancock <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Mar 2006 08:38:27 -0500
Paul,

   Once again, I'm still not sure why, my computer has sent a message
prematurely.>(Is there a button I'm accidentally hitting that it reads
as "send"?) I wanted to add that for the other meanings, which all have
the notion of singularity, "very" is redundant. I think your students
are using a meaning ("unusual" rather than "singular") that is becoming
more common. Without immediate access to the OED, I can't testify to
how recent that is.
    As with most attempts to forestall change, you are are probably taking
arms against the sea. The singular notion that once went with
uniqueness might be worth trying to preserve, but your students have
already moved on. The language goes its own way.

Craig

Doesn't the 'each' automatically make the 'other' singular?