ATEG Archives

January 2008

From:
"Spruiell, William C" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Jan 2008 17:07:01 -0500
This may be why the current cohort of education majors I'm teaching
looked very confused when I asked them why there were so many fewer than
three hundred of them, and then  asked them to don armor and line up for
drills. Even telling them that they might well have Gauls in their
classes failed to motivate them. I tried to bribe them with more salt,
but to no avail.

On a more serious note: we still have to deal with the distinction
between (a) meaning change that happened long ago and is not really
relevant to modern usage, although it may be fascinating otherwise, and
(b) ongoing meaning change that may or may not be inevitable, but which
(arguably) erases useful distinctions. I don't think I have to use
"decimate" in its original sense...but I still want to maintain the
distinction between "insure" and "ensure." That may be a picky example
(it's one I had drummed into me by a particular English teacher, so I
attach perhaps more weight to it than most) but I suspect that most of
the list's membership would agree that there is some utility in keeping
"imply" and "infer" separate. Even descriptive linguists have a
prescriptivist streak -- we just feel more conflicted about it.

Bill Spruiell
Dept. of English
Central Michigan University