ATEG Archives

December 2014

From:
"Spruiell, William C" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Dec 2014 22:20:25 +0000
This is my sense of it as well. I’d also point out that saying “All X should have the power to do Y” does not entail that “All X should have the right/license to do Y.” That has to be a nice distinction in at least one of the historical uses of ‘nice’.

— Bill Spruiell

From: <Turner>, "Tildon L." <[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>>
Date: Wednesday, December 3, 2014 at 5:06 PM
To: "[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>" <[log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>>
Subject: Re: Universal or particular category?

I agree with Nick and Gerald, with the added note that there is no structural ambiguity in this sentence.  The fact that "peacekeepers" has been modified only by "United Nations" entails all peacekeepers in that domain.

Til

Til Turner
Languages and Literature
Northern Virginia Community College