ATEG Archives

March 2009

From:
Craig Hancock <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Mar 2009 11:29:36 -0500
Crystal,
   The speaker certainly does risk sounding "snotty" (snobby?)
   "At the risk of sounding snotty" is a sentence modifier (a description
of how the speaker wants us to read the whole statement), but our first
inclination is to assign the risk to "a senior" and not to the speaker.
   "At the risk of being snotty for saying this, I believe a senior should
never split..." would make it clear.
   Would it make the writer less snotty to point out that it's a misplaced
modifier and that these things happen to the best of us? "Never" makes
it an extreme position.

Craig>

Dear All--