ATEG Archives

September 2015

From:
"Hancock, Craig G" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 30 Sep 2015 20:49:46 +0000
Karl,
    I admit that I'm reading Charles Fillmore and trying to see how far I can extend the notion of frame.
    I think craziness can eat a pie. It doesn't feel ungrammatical to me at all. It just requires a bit of metaphoric play. ("Craziness ate her family ties." "A fit of craziness came over me, and then the pie was gone. Craziness ate the pie.") To me, "Craziness ate the pie" is as grammatical as "Colorless green sheep sleep furiously."
     To me, it's not useful to say that subject and object have no semantic content. The semantic content differs from verb to verb, but that is not the same as saying it's not there.
    Why is it that we can admire his persistence and admire that he persists but not marvel his persistence? What in the world would motivate those differences? It certainly is possible that it has something to do with a difference in how we understand what it is to marvel and what it is to admire. (Seeing is different from looking, and some of that difference is expressed through the grammar. "I saw all day" and "I looked the bird" are both ungrammatical. How can we explain that without recourse to what we understand about the nature of seeing and the nature of looking?)

    Would your category of content clauses extend to Wh- headed clauses as well?
I admire what she did.  I understand how she did it. These seem to follow prepositions more readily. ("He wrote a report about what had gone wrong.") Do you see "that" headed content clauses as a separate category?

Craig