ATEG Archives

March 2008

From:
Craig Hancock <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 1 Mar 2008 15:12:04 -0500
Herb,
   Your anlaysis might convince me if we were using "default position" to
predict how a sentence might be intoned in speech (independent of
written form.) We do very much have alternative intonations available,
and any good actor/actress will play with lines that way. When we
write, though, unless we want to use the BOLDFACE option in typeface,
with no human voice available to intone it, all we have available is
the organization of the clause (helped by punctuation), and in that
situation, default patterns are hugely operative. Put quite bluntly,
some writers sound good and some sound awkward, and we ought to be able
to make observations about that based on a sense of how language works
in a discourse context, in this case writing. Believe me, I use this
insight all the time, and I suspect many writing teachers, who may just
put "awkward" in the margin in these cases, might benefit from a closer
look.
   Maybe there is a huge problem created by different mind-frames in
trying to use knowledge about language in service of literacy and
writing. I give you a number of sentences that seem to me to show that
effective writing is patterned a certain way,(to take advantage of
default patterns of stress), and you write back that the theory behind
this is wrong. Are the examples irrelevant? Is there no way to harness
linguistics to observations about effective writing? Since awkward
sentence and effective sentences are equally grammatical, does the
science end there?
   Halliday makes it clear that tonic stress is functional, and he does
present theme/rheme, given/new, and tonal stress patterns as
independent, but closely interconnected. There are good functional
reasons for altering default patterns, but that does not mean that the
"normal" category isn't pulled into play when a human voice is
unavailable and all we have are written words. Some writers have an
"ear" for writing, and I believe that we can understand what the ear is
hearing when it hears so well.
  These aren't rules in the way the term gets bandied about on list, but
patterns, meaning-making patterns, that a careful writer can exploit.

Craig

Craig,