ATEG Archives

December 1997

From:
Jim Dubinsky <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Dec 1997 08:23:30 -0500
This message was originally submitted by [log in to unmask] to the ATEG
list

hi,
        Could someone help me out here with this grammar lesson. I teach English
as a second language:

in the following two sentences:

"I don't know who(m) I saw last night".

"I like the girl who(m) i saw last night.

ok, the above two, to my feeble understanding, both contain relative
clauses which are,
1-defining
2-and both have the relative pronoun as object

therefore they should, in both cases, be capable of being omitted. Doesn't
seem to work with sentence one.
ok, so it looks like, in sentence one, that the relative clause is the
object of the verb itself (know), but still, isn't it a relative clause the
object of the verb "saw" being "who(m)??

thanks,   eric