ATEG Archives

December 1997

From:
Jim Dubinsky <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Dec 1997 08:20:25 -0500
[This message was originally submitted by [log in to unmask] to the ATEG
list
replying to a message originally submitted by  Bill McCleary
to the ATEG list]

Bill, I don't know of any studies that indicate students learn one "kind"
of grammar better than others, tho I do remember that Paul Roberts many
years ago claimed that he had more success teaching transformational
grammar (at least the early form he mixed with structural grammar) than
other kinds of grammar.  I suspect he did.  And I suspect that he likely
did because he was teaching a system that made a kind of sense rather than
presenting grammar as shards of definitions that never come together into a
complete, understandable system.

My own feeling is that students do better with some kind of system within
which the parts fit and make sense.  Beyond that, I'm not sure how much
"intensity" of definitions or "differentiation" of parts they need.   The
question you bring up about "horse barns" is a good case in point.  If you
push it very far, "horse" is a noun that functions as an adjective.  But
then again, you can also define "horse" as a noun functioning as a genitive
(a barn for horses) that is not marked with a preposition or an inflection
('s) as it is in a "girl's school" (a school for girls).   I fear to tread
too far into definitions in a junior-level course for college students.
Too far and you confuse most of the students.  How far to define is a
problem when you're teaching a class and a problem when you're writing a
textbook.  Personally, I try to do as little defining as I think I can
legitimately get away with.  I always hope that students will understand
the system and learn to define parts in a way that makes sense to them. and
that "fits."

If I talk much more, I'm afraid I'll start lecturing to people who don't
need lectures.  So I'll stop here.  But I do think this discussion gets at
a major question about teaching grammar that teachers and textbooks have to
confront.  I've been trying for years to figure out what is essential core
knowledge about grammar and what is peripheral.  I haven't been very
successful answering that question.  I suspect not many of us have.

Max Morenberg