ATEG Archives

September 2006

From:
Johanna Rubba <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Sep 2006 22:28:05 -0700
Edgar,

I've also noticed that some students are more able to use their
native-speaker intuitions better than others. But the ones who can't
still produce a lot of complex English.

You're also right that people's grammaticality judgments often do not
jibe with their actual production. I used to collect examples of
"resumptive pronoun" sentences in English, along the lines of "I can't
find that long list of people who you insisted that I invite _them_ to
the wedding."  I would make a note when I heard one. If I asked the
person later whether they would find the sentence acceptable, they
didn't; they would often say "I'd never say that!"

My students also don't like sentences like "The train must have been
being repaired", but I'm willing to bet they produce them and
understand them in ordinary speech. Conscious focus on examples often
scrambles the "processor".

Dr. Johanna Rubba, Associate Professor, Linguistics
Linguistics Minor Advisor
English Department
California Polytechnic State University, San Luis Obispo
E-mail: [log in to unmask]
Tel.: 805.756.2184
Dept. Ofc. Tel.: 805.756.2596
Dept. Fax: 805.756.6374