ATEG Archives

December 2000

From:
"Paul E. Doniger" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 14 Dec 2000 18:51:30 -0800
I won't comment on Mr. Reis's rather skewed vision of the state of literacy
in the U.S.A. Rather, I would like to suggest that "the resistance to
grammar" that we meet from our students is not very different from their
resistance to poetry, reading of any kind, algebra, geography, or chemistry.
It might be worth our while to consider the larger issues, rather than blame
public education for the apparent failings of modern society. It seems to me
that our students' real issues are linked more with the materialism of the
1980s in which they were born, as well as with their seemingly insatiable
need to be entertained (how often to we hear them complain that x, y, or z
is boring?)!

Any takers?

Paul