ATEG Archives

October 2009

From:
"STAHLKE, HERBERT F" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Oct 2009 20:43:03 -0400
This represents a fairly common problem of syntax and morphology not lining up with each other.  Certainly "to eat" is an infinitive, but "to" also cliticizes to "going" when "going to" acts as a modal, as shown by its contraction to "gonna".  When "going" is used with its motion meaning, as in

Speaker A:  I'm going to Muncie to meet a friend for lunch tomorrow.
Speaker B:  I'm going to use the Ball State library.

Speaker B can't contract and still maintain the parallelism with Speaker A.

Another instance of morphology/syntax conflict is the contracted 's from "is" as in "The ball's in play."  Even though the predicate is clearly "is in play," the contracted copula cliticizes to the last word of the subject.

Herb

Herbert F. W. Stahlke, Ph.D.
Emeritus Professor of English
Ball State University