ATEG Archives

October 2015

From:
"Hoffman, Melvin" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Oct 2015 10:42:27 -0400
It was a pleasure to read a post that included the phenomenon of elided relative adverbs

in adverbial relative clauses modifying nouns.

Relative adverbs may undergo "that"replacement and Ø replacement, or elision, much like relative pronouns.

the time when it happened          the place where we met          the reason why I did it

the time that it happened            the place that we met              the reason that I did it

the time Ø it happened                the place Ø we met                 the reason Ø I did it

My examples are made up, but--if I took the time--I could find examples of all of the above in real corpi.

Melvin Hoffman