ATEG Archives

February 2006

From:
Robert Einarsson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Feb 2006 13:00:29 -0700
Phil,

below is a type-out of the table of contents from A FUNCTIONAL ENGLISH
GRAMMAR by Margaret M. Bryant, D.C. Heath and Co.: Boston, 1945.  What I
find particularly endearing is that she deals with errors only in the
last two little sections.
Robert.

Introduction
1 . Definition of Terms

Part One
Accidence or the Form of Words
2. The Aspect of Number
3. The Aspect of Gender
4. The Aspect of Case
   A. Nominative and Accusative
   B. Genetive
5. The Aspect of Person
6. The Aspect of Comparison
7. Verbs
   A. Strong and Weak Verbs
   B. Special Verbs
   C. The Aspect of Voice
   D. The Aspect of Mood
   E. The Aspect of Time
8. Verbids

Part Two
Syntax

9. Categories of Syntax
10. Types of Sentence
11. Structure of Sentences
12. The Substantive as Subject and Complement
   A. The Substantive as Subject
   B. The Substantive as Object
   C. Other Action-Verb Complements
13. Predicate Noun and Adjective and Complements with the Passive
14. Objects of Prepositions
15. Phrases and Clauses as Subjects and Complements
16. Substantives as Modifiers
17. Substantives as Verbs and Connectives
18. More about Pronouns
19. Subordination
20. Modifiers
   A. The Adjective
   B. The Adverb
   C. Modifier Phrases and Clauses
21. The Verb Function: Predication
22. The Impersonal Verbs
23. Causatives, Reflexives, and Notional Passives
24. The Meaning of Tense
25. Sequence of Tenses
   A. Compound Sentences
   B. Subordinate Clauses
26. Indirect Discourse
27. The Syntax of Verbids
   A. The Infinitive
   B. The Participle
28. Connectives
   A. The Preposition
   B. The Coordinating Conjunction
   C. The Subordinating Conjunction
29. The Interjection
30. Concord in Sentences
31. Remedial Grammar
32. Errors in Grammar

>>> [log in to unmask] 02/13/06 9:20 AM >>>
I have a couple of good examples of the scope and sequence of
traditional grammar classrooms.  I would like to collect more of these.
Does anyone out  there have any?  I have one from a high school teacher
from the 50's and one from a Catholic school dating back to 1909.  I
would like to collect them and put together a summary and a review so it
is possible to say accurately what the traditional grammars were so it
can be shown clearly what the problems were and what the differences
will be from hear out.

Phil Bralich

interface at: