ATEG Archives

November 2007

From:
Craig Hancock <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Nov 2007 12:27:46 -0500
Janet,
   The word group "developed last summer" is headed by the past
participle of the verb and includes a noun phrase ("last summer") that
modifies "developed" adverbially. I think traditional grammar would call
it a participial phrase, acting as adjectival modifier (restrictive) of
"the plan."   The idea would be that a structure (like relative clause)
can act adjectivally and not BE an adjective phrase.
   I think it can be very useful to students to point out various
options that a writer might have available, relative clause being one,
without having to postulate that one was transformed from the other. You
can then open up conversations about the nuances of meaning (often
emphasis) that result. Insight into the closeness of these options is
valuable.

Craig